Pregnancies are the biggest things to happen in most women's lives, so they need to be documented right? The purpose of this blog is to keep track of my emotions, struggles, and anything else during my pregnancy of my first child. This blog starts before the pregnancy is confirmed and will end, well, I'm not so sure about that. But anyways, I plan to document everything I can.


Now that Gracee is born, I intend to document anything and everything I feel I need to discuss. So don't continue on if poopie diapers make you cringe because I'm sure a good many will be discussed!



Thanks for reading my utterly disastrous blog. Hopefully I'll get better about writing often, but don't count on it.



Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You Mean You're Going to Wipe Baby Poop Out of Diapers?

To answer the question, no, I won't wipe. I'll rinse.

Apparently I must be insane. I've been doing some diaper research, early I know. Did you know that by the time my baby is potty-trained I will have spent over $3,000 dollars on disposable diapers? With cloth diapers, however, I'll spend probably a fifth of that. Another plus is that they won't pile up in landfills for years to come. When people think about cloth diapers, they think about thin cloth diapers held up by safety pins. That's not how it is anymore people! These days, they have all different types and kinds of cloth diapers. Here are a few examples:
I think they're pretty cool! You rinse them out in the toilet and then wash them like you would anything else. Of course, when the baby is at a babysitters or someone that wouldn't want to deal with the cloth diapers, I could always buy some backup regular disposable diapers. Since I'm know I'm going to get a lot of negativeity about this, I'm going to make a pros and cons list.

Pros:
good for the Earth,
very healthy for the baby because they prevent a lot of cases of diaper rash,
cheaper in the long run
more comfortable for the baby

Cons:
messy cleanup
more money upfront

So...if you ask me, disposable diapers aren't as good as they seem. I may change my mind in the long run and when the baby gets here, but for now, I think i want to try cloth diapers. Hey, if I don't like them, I can always go back to disposable ones right? Peace & Love CD




2 comments:

  1. I dunno. Maybe it's just because I'm a guy, but just the idea of "rinsing" out a diaper makes me want to vomit. much less actually doing it. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used reuseable diapers with Miriam and still have the same set I bought I don't use them anymore though. They worked great until Miriam turned 1. Everytime she would use the bathroom the diaper became too wet and would leak. The company that made them recommended doubling up on the inserts as the child got bigger but its too bulky and her clothes wouldn't fit. The diapers also adjusted too for different sizes. They save money but you have to be persistent to keep using them. The diapers are pink so if you have a girl you are more than welcome to have them :)

    ReplyDelete